The Champlain Housing Trust, Housing Vermont, and the Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission are currently undergoing a coordinated campaign to increase the housing supply in Chittenden County. This campaign is called Building Homes Together.
The campaign will provide up-to-date data to the community on the need for and benefits of new housing, build cross-sector and public support for housing development, increasing access to capital, and supporting municipalities.
SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON:
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
The Building Homes Together campaign advocates for increased housing production, setting a target of 3,500 new homes in Chittenden County in the next five years. Almost 100 representatives from the nonprofit sector, business interests, banks and credit unions, housing developers, municipal and state officials and local institutions share our goals and have joined the campaign. View our FAQs »
A 2-page infographic describing the campaign was created to summarize the current available data, as well as to outline the benefits, policy changes, and capital increases associated with meeting the goal for 3,500 new homes by 2021.
Another infographic was created to outline how housing investments return broad benefits; specifically, how a $70 million housing bond for affordable housing could bring $258 million to Vermont.
Interested in joining the campaign? See below for details »
A current list of Building Homes Together supporters is available here » (Updated 8/10/16)
View quotes about the Building Homes Together campaign from Senator Patrick Leahy, Senator Bernie Sanders, Congressman Peter Welch, and more here »
IN THE NEWS
A press conference was held on June 27, 2016 to announce this campaign. The BHT press release and accompanying media coverage is included below:
- Opinion (Champlain Housing Trust): Affordable Housing Falling Short (Burlington Free Press, April 2, 2017) »
- Press Release (June 27, 2016) »
- Chittenden County Coalition Wants to Build 3,500 Homes Over Five Years (Seven Days) »
- Chittenden County Coalition Formed to Build (a lot) More Housing (Vermont Business Magazine) »
- Coalition Aims To Ramp Up Housing Growth In Chittenden County (VTDigger) »
- New Campaign Hopes To Add 3,500 Homes In Chittenden County Over Next 5 Years (VPR) »
- Chittenden County Leaders Announce Housing Plan (WCAX) »
- Housing Coalition Aims to Add 3,500 Units in Chittenden County (FOX44/ABC22) »
- Chittenden County Leaders Aim to Speed Up New Housing Construction (WPTZ) »
- Leaders Launch Chittenden Housing Plan (Burlington Free Press) »
JOIN THE CAMPAIGN
Building Homes Together (BHT) shares information about the need for housing; the positive impact that housing provides for individuals, families, seniors and our communities; and provides opportunities to share this information with the public and decision-makers.
One way we share information is through the BHT Listserv which is available to BHT members only. To join BHT and the Listserv, please complete the sign-up form below. Upon requesting to join, you will automatically receive a confirmation email that will require you to verify your request. By doing so, you indicate your endorsement of the BHT campaign goals and principles, and your name will be added to the official supporters list.
To join BHT and the Listserv, complete the sign-up form below and follow instructions in the confirmation email you receive.
For more information, please contact Chris Donnelly: email@example.com
- Frequently Asked Questions »
- Housing Development Toolkit (The White House, September 2016) | Read More »
- Reform Land Use, Promote Shared Growth of New Housing (San Francisco Chronicle, September 2016) | Read More »